Sean Maher's Quality Control

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Holy Crap, I'm Broke

Wow. HUGE week of comics this week, on top of the 5th anniversary of the Isotope.

Crisis Aftermath: The Spectre #1 (DC) - Picking this up for Cliff Chiang's stunning artwork, and also to check in on the fate of Gotham Central's Crispus Allen.

Lucifer #74 - One to go. Vertigo's best title wraps up.

Seven Soldiers Of Victory, Vol 3 TP (DC) - Ah, I'll finally get to start reading Frankenstein, which looked like the best of the seven.

Superman/Batman #26 (DC) - Don't really have any interest in this series, but the gangbang of awesome artists is enough to get me to at least pick this up and look.

Emissary #1 (Image) - Image and Jim Valentino bring back a project for the legendary Small Gods creative team of Jason Rand and Juan Ferreyra, bringing the new book I'm most excited about in a week jam-packed with exciting new books.

Five Fists Of Science GN (Image) - At long-fucking-last. Huge preview online here.

Liberty Meadows #37 (Image) - This'll be my first issue. I just can't resist Frank Cho's women anymore. This looks like the title to follow, far as I can tell, and the first two trades are getting reprinted soon, so this'll give me a nice idea of whether or not I should pick 'em up.

Books Of Doom #6 (Marvel) - Curious to see how this wraps up, though I think it's been the most underwhelming of Brubaker's Marvel work thus far. Now Daredevil, on the other hand, is blowing me away every fucking month.

Incredible Hulk #95 (Marvel) - Greg Pak continues to write a fun, back-to-basics Hulk story full of smashing and wanting to be left alone.

Punisher: The Tyger (Marvel) - Sweet Jesus, this is gonna be good.

Thing #7 (Marvel) - I shed a tear to see this one go, but at least it's been fun.

Ultimate Fantastic Four #30 (Marvel) - Millar's most recent arc ("President Thor") was, to me, the best of his entire run, so I'm looking forward to how he builds from here.

Skyscrapers Of The Midwest #3 (Adhouse Books) - Continues the excellent run of Josh Cotter's heartbreaking series; the Isotope (whose Mini-Comics award went to Cotter a few years ago) features an eight-page preview here.

Mouse Guard #3 (Archaia Studio Press) - Am I actually more excited about this than I am about Emissary? It's a close call, one way or the other. If you've been hanging out, you know how much I've been grooving on this series.

Hero Squared #1 (Ongoing, Boom! Studios) - Giffen does know how to bring the funny sometimes, so I'm looking forward to checking out his sense of humor in a super-hero context.

War Of The Worlds: Second Wave #3 (Boom! Studios) - As I've said (twice), i think this is the best book in the Boom! stable. Can't wait to see what's happening next. Michael Alan Nelson is a writer to watch, I'm tellin' ya now.

Helios: In With The New #3 (Dakuwaka Productions) - I did a double-take on the $5 cover price, but then realized the issue is extra-length. This is written by Small Gods' Jason Rand, which is the main selling point for me, but it's also been a fun superheroes-meet-SHIELD sort of concept. A new mini launches in a few months, so the story continues... excellent.

Battlestar Galactica #0 (Dynamite Entertainment) - Thanks, Fossen: I'd have missed this, not having seen the series yet, but two-bits for a Greg Pak comic sounds like a deal to me.

Uptight #1 (Fantagraphics) - Don't remember why, exactly, but this caught my eye in Previews a few months ago, and it's only $2.50, so I'll likely take a look.

My Inner Bimbo #1 (Oni) - I'll be tradewaiting this, 'cause that's how I picked up the first in this loosely connected trilogy (Ojo),

Abadazad Books 1 and 2 (Hyperion) - I wasn't big on The Stardust Kid, but this first collaboration between J.M. DeMatteis and Mike Ploog was really goddamned promising. Glad to see it return; I won't be able to pick these up this week (Christ, look up), but they're on my list fo' sho'.

7 Comments:

  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger Mark Fossen said…

    How did I not know that Emissary was by Rand and Ferreyra?

    Sold!

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Sean Maher said…

    I guess that makes us even. ;)

     
  • At 3:52 PM, Blogger James said…

    Holy crap you read a lot of comics. But at least you read good comics. ;)

     
  • At 11:26 PM, Blogger Sean Maher said…

    Good Christ, you're not kidding, James! I'm pretty happy with the haul (thus far in my reading), but Lordy, it weren't cheap!

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    To be a upright benign being is to have a philanthropic of openness to the mankind, an skill to trust undeterminable things beyond your own control, that can lead you to be shattered in very outermost circumstances on which you were not to blame. That says something uncommonly outstanding thither the get of the ethical passion: that it is based on a trustworthiness in the uncertain and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a weed than like a prize, something fairly tenuous, but whose mere special attraction is inseparable from that fragility.

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    n every tom's time, at some pass‚, our inner throw goes out. It is then bust into flame at hand an be faced with with another benign being. We should all be indebted quest of those people who rekindle the inner spirit

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com