Sean Maher's Quality Control

Monday, April 03, 2006

I'll die with a hammer in my hand, lord, lord...

Hectic posts today and, likely, again tomorrow.

Tomorrow I've got a staff meeting across town at 9:30 a.m., followed by a double shift that ends at about 3:00 a.m.

*****

Funny thing to reference, but Amazon's got an awesome video up of Bruce Springsteen doing the old classic, "John Henry". Apparently he's got a new album coming out with a bunch of songs "associated with" Pete Seeger.

I've been of the opinion that Seeger was pretty much a douchebag, but "John Henry" predates him by, like, fifty years or more. So, it's an awesome song and Bruce does it fun.

*****

What looks good in this week's batch of new comics? Well, I'll be checking out these:

Ex Machina Vol 3: Fact V Fiction TP
Hard Time Season 2 #5
Infinite Crisis #6
Planetary #25
Astro GN
Annihilation: Silver Surfer #1
Punisher MAX #32

Winter Men #4 - Not sure about this one. The fuckin' thing was teased in that Vertigo X book about three years ago, and the first three issues came out months ago. Issue #5 hasn't been solicited yet, right? I might have to wait this puppy out. You've gotta come a little stronger, guys - you've got to do the work and put out the book. When you're self-reliant and publishing your own stuff, I'll be a little more patient because I know how much hassle that can be. But when you're being published by DC? Just do the fucking work. Still, this has been really good.

Adhouse Books is putting out Superior Showcase #1, a mere three bucks for some crazy awesome shit. I'll be checking it out for sure.



Then there's Streets Of Dublin (SC, $11.99) from Dublin Comics. This book caught my eye in the Previews magazine - not quite enough to convince me to pre-order, but enough for me to pick it up and take a look if I see it on the shelf this week. There's a somewhat confusing review up at Bugpowder.com; a fast-paced drugs-n-debauchery thriller set in the faithfully reproduced auld architecture of Dublin town? Well, like I said, I'll take a look.

*****

Grr. Amidst links a-plenty to overwhelmingly positive reviews, Mike Carey points out that his first novel, The Devil You Know (out this week, it seems, in the UK), will have the hardcover US version released in June 2007.



I'm really pissed about potentially having to wait that long when the fuckin' thing is out for all you limey fuckers across the pond already.

At the same time, it's really cool to hear that the book is strong - I've been excited about it for a while now.

Nice interview with Carey about the book here, by the way.

*****

That's it for today. I'll do my best to get something up tomorrow, but I should be back in full force on Wednesday. Cheers.

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com