Sean Maher's Quality Control

Monday, August 01, 2005

Smoke And Guns: A Gun Street girl was the cause of it all

Didn't get to read many comics today - spent most of the daylight hours pounding the pavement, looking for bartending work. Actually, I got to apply one of the lessons I learned from my time at the helm of the Isotope: LISTEN. I had my whole spiel ready for everyone who'd listen, but the best interview I had was the one where I was most receptive and responsive to what the manager had to say, rather than hammering in all the points I wanted to make about myself. Looks like an awesome place, too, I'd love to work there. Wish me luck.



Still, I've got some content for you, my darlings. Bookshelf Comics has posted my advance review of Smoke And Guns, so head on over and take a gander. The rest of you folks won't be able to pick this baby up until September, but I've got a little skinny on it for you here and now, 'cause that's the kind of lucky guy I am. Here's an excerpt:

It may seem to be asking a lot that we expect those ditzy hotties hocking cigarettes at the bar to be such a gang of badasses (in my limited experience, such women have had an oddly innocent vibe compared to their usual clientele of shameless, ass-grabbing drunkards), but Baldock performs a great balancing act of showing the gross, mundane aspects of their work and the grit it actually requires while drawing back the proverbial curtain and showing a seedy, fantastically action-packed underbelly of the job. That is, while many sections of the book are ridiculously (and entertainingly) action-packed and insane, we still get a sense of what the job is really like, and there's a feeling that what we're reading is an extrapolation of those experiences.


If that's not enough, you can also download an Adobe Acrobat preview from the AiT/Planet Lar website at this link, or read the Newsarama interview with creators Kirsten Baldock and Fabio Moon (complete with preview pages) at this one. Happy days!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger Sean Maher said…

    Just tequila, eh? I'm a whiskey man, myself. Scotch, if possible, though bourbon makes its point pretty well sometimes.

    Thanks for the good wishes, my man!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com