Sean Maher's Quality Control

Friday, October 07, 2005

Looking-for-work Friday: Bits and pieces

The job search continues today, so I've just got some odds and ends for you today.

ITEM: Y'all know by now how much I love Elk's Run. So if you haven't gotten on board yet, take advantage of the cheap "bumper edition" that's out this week, with the Darwyn Cooke cover.




ITEM: This may be where the few remaining readers who don't think I'm gay switch sides, but the first track from the new Fiona Apple album is pretty good. It kinda sounds like she's been listening to a lot of Tom Waits and funny British showtunes. I flipped through a few more tracks at the Amoeba listening station and wasn't too impressed, but that first song - "Extraordinary Machine" - is clever and kinda funny and really pretty weird.


ITEM: I'm completely immature.




ITEM: Holy crap! "Every year sees a crop of newly found jazz gems, but rarely are listeners treated to anything as special as this 1957 concert recording of Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane, which was accidentally discovered in an unmarked box by a Library of Congress engineer early in 2005." Who the fuck LOST those tapes?! Jesus, I just found out about this a second ago. Must resist the urge to buy and listen to this all day instead of looking for work... must be strong...



(Wow, it's #1 at Amazon... who'd a-thought jazz could still do that?)

Enjoy the weekend, everybody. Get into some trouble.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:57 AM, Blogger Jason said…

    Hey, Barry, if you like stories about turning gay people straight you'd love Elk's Run. (how's that for a pitch?)

    Sean - there's some good energy in todays post. I kept shouting "ITEM!" in my head everytime. I've never been more excited about someone saying they like a Fiona Apple song and it was all in the delivery. Because I don't like Fiona Apple. You know, 'cause I like to have sex with women.

     
  • At 10:44 AM, Blogger Broadband Guy said…

    Selling Your Soul, Blogging about Blogging
    Don't jump! Don't jump! Aaron talks about the frustrations of blogging and contemplates selling his soul and starting a blog about blogging.
    Hey I really like your blog I came across it randomly one day and luckily I bookmarked it so I've come back many times since. If you have time please stop by my site. (gotta get a plug in right? lol) You can find satellite dsl at www.DSL-Experts.com. See? That was painless eh? lol

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Blogger Sean Maher said…

    Barry - Keep 'em coming, good buddy.

    Jason - Yeah, I enjoyed writing it that way, too. Kinda felt like Danny DeVito in LA Confidential, except, you know, really gay.

     
  • At 11:55 PM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said…

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com